current Careers & Employment Opportunities
Having a career with Florida Oceanographic Society is more than just a job. It is about having a passion for the environment and our mission to, "inspire environmental stewardship of Florida's coastal ecosystems."
If you feel strongly about our mission and wish to have a rewarding career with Florida Oceanographic Society, please view our current job openings below.
Provide leadership for the Research department including developing and maintaining high quality programs; direct, supervise and evaluate research and conservation staff and volunteers; develop & coordinate research, conservation and ecosystem restoration programs in accordance with Florida Oceanographic’s mission; and develop overall vision and direction for Florida Oceanographic research initiatives and strategies. Work with lead staff management team; Education, Animal Care, Operations and Development, to achieve the organization’s mission. Work direction and priorities are given by the Executive Director as direct supervisor of this position.
- Serve as a lead spokesperson for research, conservation and advocacy efforts.
- Serve as a member of Florida Oceanographic’s lead staff management team.
- Develop and administer the research department annual budget including grant programs.
- Manage and train research department staff and volunteers for community engagement in all research, conservation and restoration programs.
- Develop, create and continue core research and restoration programs including water quality monitoring, FLOOR (oyster habitat restoration), FOSTER (seagrass habitat restoration) and Living Shoreline and Citizen Science programs.
- Expand and secure funding related to research and conservation initiatives through grants writing and special events in coordination with Education and Development departments.
- Coordinate with Education Department to develop & implement programs and materials based on research and education initiatives assisting with instruction and organizing volunteer efforts.
- Maintain science-based credibility through membership in nationally recognized environmental, research and scientific organizations, publishing and presenting scientific research studies and participating on relative public agency working groups, advisory committees and restoration teams.
- Take on other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits after completion of 60 day introductory period
- Paid vacation, sick leave, personal leave and holidays
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Ph.D. degree preferred, Masters degree required, in environmental or marine science related field.
- At least five years of experience in environmental or marine science related field.
- Strong natural history background. Marine and terrestrial experience preferably in South Florida.
- Experience with the development and implementation of scientific research and conservation initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational abilities including managerial, administrative skills and financial planning.
- Experience with grant writing and fundraising.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Strong commitment to science, conservation, environment and community.
This position is open until filled and reports to the Executive Director. Send application, resume and cover letter to: Executive Director, Florida Oceanographic Society, 890 NE Ocean Blvd., Stuart, Florida 34996. firstname.lastname@example.org
Florida Oceanographic is an equal opportunity employer*, complies with the American Disabilities Act**, and is a drug-free work place.
*Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
**Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibit employment discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities in the private sector, and in state and local governments.