Taking our message to the community
As active advocates, we fight for our waterways and the preservation of Florida's environment. In addition to being members of the Rivers Coalition, Everglades Coalition and Blue Frontier Campaign, we lead conversations, take part in stakeholder meetings and work to educate the community about water quality issues.
Take a look at our involvement in advocating for Florida's waters:
- Participated in dozens of local, state and federal agency meeting and conference calls
- Represented our community at the annual Everglades Coalition Conference which was attended by over 300 participants from around the state
- Attended March for the Ocean in Washington, D.C. and met with elected officials regarding our ocean and coastal environments
- Attended America's Everglades Summit in Washington, D.C.
- During the 2018 election year, we met with and educated candidates running for local and statewide offices
Advocacy in action & community engagement
Through outreach we have advocated for the environment at local events and meetings with both the local community and visitors from out of town. We share our Dark, Flat and Clean messaging with hotels on Hutchinson Island so that all beach-goers can play a part in protecting sea turtles. Volunteers put advocacy into action monthly at every adopt-a-highway, beach and waterway cleanup.
Fighting to Save Our Waters
Florida Oceanographic Society has been monitoring water quality for habitat health in our estuaries for over 25 years. Our restoration programs, FLOOR and FOSTER, are helping to restore water quality and reverse decades of habitat degradation of vital seagrass beds and oyster reefs.
Saving our waters is the forefront of our advocacy. Using scientific data collected by our research and conservation programs, we can show the devastating effects on our coastal waters from poor water management and Lake Okeechobee discharges over time.
Learn more about Florida's Waterway Stories, Current Water Issues, and how you can get involved in the fight to Save Our Waters!