Nighttime Sea Turtle Walk
About the Event
Florida Oceanographic Society's nighttime sea turtle program is conducted under a state permit and begins with an educational presentation on sea turtle biology and conservation followed by the opportunity, if nature cooperates, for guests to go out on the beach to observe the nesting behavior of a loggerhead sea turtle.
Reminder: This program is conducted under a state permit. Conducting sea turtle walks on your own or disturbing turtles is against the law. Please keep all lights off while on the beach, including flashlights, cell phones and cameras. Don't forget to keep a respectful distance from nesting females or hatchlings.
Please scroll all the way down for the registration form.
Program start time: 9:00 pm (doors open at 8:50 pm for sign-in - please arrive on time)
Location: Florida Oceanographic Coastal Center – 890 NE Ocean Blvd., Stuart, FL 34996
Program Fee: $12.00 per participant
Age restrictions: Participants must be at least 8 years of age. Guests under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The turtle walk might continue until 12am or later, depending on when a turtle is spotted and how long her nesting process takes.
- Participants must be able to walk in soft or wet sand for up to 1 mile to/from the nesting site. Boardwalks and stairs will also be used for crossing the dunes.
- Following the educational classroom program, guests will wait at the Coastal Center until a sea turtle is spotted by our scouts out on the beach. An educational film will be shown during this time.
- Cut off time for scouts to find a viewable turtle is 11:30pm.
- Sea turtles are on their own schedule, so there are NO guarantees that a viewable turtle will be sighted. We cannot offer refunds if a turtle is not found, but appreciate your support, as all ticket sales directly benefit our sea turtle education programs.
- Participants must have their own means of transportation to follow the group from Florida Oceanographic to the beach access.
- Beach conditions can get rainy, muggy, and buggy, so please come prepared.
- We do not cancel the program in the event of rain – no matter how heavy – so bring a rain coat if rain is in the forecast. Lightning may result in delay of program or cancellation.
- Dark-colored clothing (long sleeves and long pants reduce bug bites)
- Comfortable shoes that can get sandy and possibly wet
- Rain coat/poncho (no umbrellas please)
- Bug spray
- A drink and snack while waiting at the Coastal Center (please, no food once we arrive at the nesting beach)
- No smoking, vaping, or alcohol consumption during any phase of the turtle walk program
*Please do NOT bring any flashlights, cameras or cellphones on the beach. The use of any light or flash photography can disturb nesting turtles and is not permitted.
- No refunds or date swaps will be granted if cancelled within one week of your reserved date. Due to the popularity and off-hour timing of this program, last-minute cancellations will be considered a donation to Florida Oceanographic Society.
- In the event that Florida Oceanographic must cancel a program, refunds will be granted but date changes cannot be guaranteed.
- Registration is limited to 25 spots per date. Please do not bring extra, unregistered guests to your walk.
- During registration, your group size will be limited by the number of available spots remaining for your selected night.
- Please include the same email address for ALL participants in your party.
Nighttime Sea Turtle Walk Registration
Florida Oceanographic Coastal Center
890 NE Ocean Boulevard
Stuart, FL 34996